Preventing pregnancy loss is an important part of fertility treatment. If our Bedford and Fort Worth, TX fertility specialists can catch potential miscarriage risk factors, we can work to prevent these issues. We always take these matters seriously because we know the physical and emotional toll they can take.
Below are some warnings signs and risk factors of pregnancy loss that patients should be mindful of. Catching these issues ahead of time can save your pregnancy and protect your general health as well.
Common Warning Signs of Pregnancy Loss
Some of the most common symptoms of a miscarriage include the following:
- Vaginal Spotting or Bleeding - If you are pregnant but notice bleeding or spotting, this is often a sign that something is wrong. It’s important to monitor these issues as they arise.
- Lower Back and Abdominal Pain - Pain around the abdomen and lower back is often a sign that a pregnancy issue is occurring. Be mindful of serious pain following pregnancy.
- Loss of Pregnancy Symptoms - If morning sickness and breast sensitivity seem to disappear, this may be the sign of a pregnancy issue. Note any changes in normal pregnancy symptoms.
- Blood Clot-Like Material Passing Through the Vagina - This is perhaps the most distressing and alarming symptom of a miscarriage. If possible, be sure to collect this material in a container for a doctor to examine.
What to Do If You Notice Any of the Above Symptoms
If you notice any of the above warning signs of a miscarriage, be sure to seek medical attention as soon as possible. These warning signs may be linked to other health issues that require immediate professional treatment.
Risk Factors for Pregnancy Loss
In addition to the above warning signs, there are several factors that make pregnancy loss more likely. They include:
- Previous Miscarriage - If you have suffered a previous pregnancy loss, the chances of another miscarriage are higher.
- Advanced Age - In general, women who are 35 or older are more likely to suffer a miscarriage than younger women.
- Uterine or Cervical Problems - Problems with the uterus or cervix could lead to pregnancy loss, which is why full exams are crucial to a healthy pregnancy.
- Chronic Health Conditions - Health problems such as unchecked diabetes can make a miscarriage more likely.
- Abnormal Weight - Being underweight or overweight can significantly increase your chances of pregnancy loss.
- Smoking, Alcohol, Drug Use - Using tobacco products, alcohol, or abusing drugs during pregnancy increases the risk of pregnancy loss as well as serious birth defects.
Helping You Avoid Pregnancy Loss
For women who suffer from any of the risk factors above, we can consider the aid of a gestational carrier. The terms refers to a woman who carries a couple’s child to term in her own womb.
Partnering with a gestational carrier means ensuring the health of your baby and avoiding a potential heartache. A careful screening process is used to find healthy candidates, and arrangements can be made through out fertility center.
Learn More About Women’s Health and Wellness
For more information about fertility and wellness, be sure to contact the Center for Assisted Reproduction. We are here to help you start a family and enjoy the wonders of being a parent. Our team is here for you.